Wednesday, 6 January 2016

Experience with ICT during my first term of teaching

The phrase 'learning curve' springs irresistably to mind.

Using technology in a classroom setting as a student is a very different experience to doing so as a teacher. Logging in takes time and becomes an automatic process while you indulge in classroom management and admin. Despite having checked the link of the Socrative quiz one last time before entering the classroom I found myself holding my breath until the quiz appeared and students were able to log on to the session. 

After my first microteach on the preparing to teach module I made a target to learn to use the interactive whiteboard. The learning curve reared its head again; some rooms had the board but not the required software, some had no whiteboard, others had both but they seemed rarely used. The 'how to' guide proved useful but I found it much easier to ask a member of staff for a few tips. The most useful tip was on how to callibrate the board to stop my scribbling appearing six inches away from the pen. 

Other than these applications I don't really see much other technology I have come across so far being particularly useful for teaching public services (see previous post). However, there is always something to learn and I am sure I'll come across some technology during the year that will help my teaching and student learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment